Sunday, November 06, 2005

Content to Exist

Walt Whitman

I’m not big into poetry, but when I get into a poem, it is almost like a drug.  

I liked the last line of As the Time Draws Nigh

“O soul, we have positively appear’d – that is enough”

Chesterton wrote a short poem of the same vein…

Here dies another day
During which I have had eyes, ears, hands
And the great world round me;
And with tomorrow begins another.
Why am I allowed two?

This almost mystical appreciation of the earth and existence makes me feel humble, content to exist, it informs my environmentalist side.  Humans aren’t here to rule the earth, but as stewards; to appreciate the existence of every living thing.  Enough of my words, read the poetry again, I don’t have to say anything, argue for anything.  

No comments: