Monday, March 13, 2006

Truth and Beauty of Happiness?

Aldous Huxley - Brave New World

Truth and beauty or happiness?  

This is Dostoyevsky’s Grand Inquisitor all over again, just 600 years in the future instead of in the past and the dream of the Grand Inquisitor has been realized.  Humanity has been stabilized, and everyone is happy.  It cost people their freedom, but wasn’t it worth it?  To not have anymore racism, war, hate?  Contentment is given a place to proliferate and provide the ideal society.  My personal ultimate goal has been realized.  There is no more poverty.  I am unemployed thank God um, I mean Ford.  

So what if everyone lives half doped up, there is peace and everyone can get along.  Society exists in harmony with the world.

Sounds good doesn’t it.  Have a majority of every dream we have realized.  But it costs freedom and creativity.  The question is, is life worth living if it’s fake but happy?  
What’s our big attachment to reality and pain, growth?  

When it comes down to it though, I believe Solzhenitsyn when he said that it is a pretty weak ideology that is based on the lie that pleasure is what matters.  There is something more to life than pleasure.  There is something deep, embedded in existence that seems to only reveal itself in pain, and growth and reality.  I have a feeling that it isn’t a conscious thing, it is a synthesis of the diversity of this world and the next. It also produces a trust in humanity that they will one day get it, a mystical patience that goes beyond my own life time.

The hope of the existence of this mysticism is the only thing that keeps me from Huxley’s Brave New World.  The Lawyer, 3 Hermits and Dostoyevsky’s Jesus really screwed me up.  Who knew reading 40 pages could change a person’s life.

A second Thought…
There is always divinity.  
Zeus, God, Christ, Mohammed, Science, and for Huxley, Control and Ford… the list goes on… materialism, pleasure, a mortgage, compassion, and on…

I use divinity to describe the force in a person’s life that they obey, sometimes blindly, sometimes not, and worship a bit.  I guess my point is that everyone devotes their life to something.  Just make sure it is worth your life.  

I borrow this idea from a Christian Bumper sticker that I have become convinced has some truth… I am a fool for Christ, whose fool are you?  

No comments: